Our vineyard stretches across 23 gently sloped acres overlooking Rangihoua Bay, framed by farmland, lush native bush and regenerated wetlands.
The land’s suitability for viticulture was long-ago identified by the missionary Reverend Samuel Marsden. Marsden established the first permanent European settlement in New Zealand, alongside where our vineyard now sits, and planted what are thought to have been New Zealand’s first grapevines nearby in 1819.
Over time, the peninsula’s fertile soils and abundant marine life drew more settlers, and it became a thriving hub of culture and trade for the region.
Since the founding of The Landing Wines in 2007, we have honoured the area’s pioneering spirit with our innovative approach, and respected the land’s beauty and abundance by nurturing and restoring it through sustainable viticulture.
Our purpose at The Landing is to honour the heritage of the land and people who played a significant role in New Zealand’s early history in the Bay of Islands. We try to realise The Landing’s potential by rejuvenating and evolving the land, while maintaining a sincere nod to its heritage, people and culture. The design of our branding illustrates this purpose.
Our waka (canoes) stand as symbols of our land and label’s heritage. Centuries ago, the earliest Polynesian settlers landed at the beautiful Purerua Peninsula in trios of waka – one in the centre carrying senior family members, and one on each side for protection. These brave voyagers were guided by stars, represented by the tukutuku (woven) crosses that wrap across the centre of each waka.
Hundreds of years later, in 1814, at the invitation of Rangihoua chief Ruatara, the Reverend Samuel Marsden landed in Rangihoua Bay to establish New Zealand’s first Christian mission. Today, the three waka also represent for us the three ways we act as long-term guardians of our tūrangawaewae (place to stand) – Respect, Care and Sustain. The physical representation of these ideals, in the form of the artwork Niho Taniwha by Māori sculptor Chris Bailey, has a permanent place at the Cooper Residence at The Landing.
The Mamuka pattern was carved into the hulls of waka to help them slip through the water, advancing to their destination more easily.